Sunday, November 16, 2008

Lexi's doctor visit

Yet again, another week has just flown by. To start things off Lexi's leg has really been hurting her. I guess I should start of by saying Lexi is my baby. She goes everywhere with Devin and I. She loves boat rides, trips to our friends house, ice cream runs, you name it. Anything we do she is a major part of, she completes our family, heck sometimes she is the center of our family. She is a dog, but she doesn't know it and that's something we don't ever plan on telling her. Okay so about her back leg, she won't put any weight on it, or she hasn't in the past several weeks or so. This has been sort of an on going battle for the last couple of years. If she plays ball or does anything that she is stopping and going and jumping and such the next morning she will be a little slow to get around on her back leg. So she had an appointment to visit her vet on Friday morning. Of course, Lexi is the greatest baby in the entire world, she's so smart and has a personality larger than life. Oh I just love her so much! Well we get to the vet and I help Lex out of the car and she almost takes off the opposite way... lil' sneaky thing. She did not want to go in. Bless her heart, she knew exactly where we were. Once we were in the exam room she sat in the corner behind me and my chair, of course the hardest place for the Doctor to fit in. Once she realized he just wanted to love on her she slowly came out. Then it was my turn to panic. He started feeling of her knee telling my he thought she might have ripped her tendons behind the knee, but he wouldn't be sure until they did x-rays. In order to do x-rays they need to give her something to knock her out.... Ugh. As my heart sinks down to my big toe. I told him that I wouldn't, couldn't leave her. So I was able to go back with her. Once they gave my girl the shot it was all but ten seconds later she was out of it.... This was one of the hardest things for me to watch. She was awake, but she couldn't move. Her tongue just hung out the side of her mouth as she just starred at me, and into space. Tears just rolled (streamed) down my face through out the entire procedure. Then it took her about an hour to be able to even get up, but the vet was nice enough to give us on of their rooms to rest in. Okay, so picture this my sweet Lexi on the floor with a blanket and me sprawled eagle next to her. My arm was a pillow for her head, as she slobbered uncontrollably from the medicine. She was shaking and trying to get up. Of course, tears filled my face again. I tried to not let her hear it in my voice, but I gained a greater respect for all my friends who have children who have had to go through something traumatic. I think after all that God knew that I wouldn't be able to take it if we had to go see that orthopedic surgeon in Dallas, so he took it away. By the time we got the x-ray back she didn't have any kind of tendon problems or broken issues, she has arthritis around the knee. The vet said he was a lil' shocked, my response was Praise the Lord. So if your ever in the Abilene area and you hear a story about a crazy lady who cries and talks to God out loud, her dog, and a vet visit rest assured its just me!

0 comments: