Friday, October 17, 2008

Hhmmm... What to say?

Hhmmmm.... Hhmmmm... What to say, what to say? The weather has been fabulous all week long. This week God has really been tugging on my heart. I’m still unclear of what he’s doing, but I’m sure it’ll soon be revealed. Anyhoo… I got to play with my lil’ nephew, Hayden, and his lil’ sister, Haddie, for a couple of hours which is always a treat. They make me laugh with every thing they do. Hayden is getting so big. He loves to play in the dirt and tractors are his favorite, so naturally Aunt Christy combines to two! You can see from the smudge on his face he also loves chocolate… don’t worry they were just teddy grahams.

Now on to today: my father in law, Big Frosty aka Dennis, had to have back surgery. It’s been a long time coming, bless his heart. So this is how the long day began…. Frosty had to be at the hospital at like five am, so Devin and his brother, Rhett, wanted to make sure they were there before he went in and so they could be with their mom, Sally Jane. Devin was under the impression that the surgery would only take thirty minutes, well about three hours or so later he was finally out and taken to his room. This waiting alone was draining, plus knowing the seriousness of the procedure. The neurosurgeon had to relieve the pressure of his nerves around his spine, and I think they removed some of his bone too… anyway you can see how the impact of the clock was draining to the family as they just sat and waited. I made my way to the hospital once Frosty was taken to his room. I thought I would do fine, I just knew that I had grown out of the memories of my eighth grade year when my dad was hurt. But the moment I entered through the doors I remembered exactly how I felt when I had walked into the hospital back then, it had the same smell, the same lighting, ugh, the same feeling. It all hit me again. It does the same thing to me every time, but this time was different. Then this sudden fear came over me, the fear of loosing my Frosty. He is a second dad to me, he’s an amazing man. The instant I walked into his room and saw him laying there with the tubes and the machines I lost it. I started crying and of course Devin, his brother, his mom, and Frosty are just looking at me…. Like what in the world. I guess that’s just something I may never forget, a feeling that I won’t ever be able to describe. I’m trying to turn it into a positive and remember what came out of my dad’s tragedy… My Dad the Jesus Freak! Well, praise the Lord on all counts, because my dad is alive and Frosty’s surgery went great. We won’t know if there was any nerve damage for a couple of days, but I know God is in control so I’m not worried. It’s gonna be hard for Frosty to get around for about two weeks, but hopefully his back pain will disappear and his wound will heal nicely.

Thank you Lord for all you do. Your love and grace have forever changed me.

2 comments:

Catherine Hall said...

That's a cute kid in your pictures!
(Can I say that as his momma?)

The Durham's said...

Those are some adorable kids!! You are so sweet and I am so sorry for this whole situationa and the memories it brings! Praying that the Lord will flood you with His promises today, and fill you and your family with peace....the key to all of it is "letting" Him do it:):) Love ya!